Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Possession (Possession #1) by Elana Johnson

"Vi knows the rule: Girls don't walk with boys, and they never even think about kissing them. But no one makes Vi want to break the rules more than Zenn... and since the Thinkers have chosen him as Vi's future match, how much trouble can one kiss cause? The Thinkers may have brainwashed the rest of the population, but Vi is determined to think for herself."

Possession (Possession, #1)

Interesting enough right? This novel is about a futuristic society where there are the Goodies and the Baddies. But are the Goodies really good and the Baddies really bad? Or is that just what the Thinkers (the people in charge) want you to think? And then the Thinkers are also called the Greenies (which I failed to realize why after reading all 400 pages) and Freedom, which isn't really freedom at all. Confusing right?? I agree! This is definitely one of those books you find yourself scratching your head, but if you were to read it a second time a year later, you would probably like it a lot more because you finally understand it.

Vi has broken rules her whole life, and finally gets in REAL trouble for walking in the park late at night with a boy. After that she's thrown in jail and meets Jag, where they escape and then go on their little adventure. Or at least I think that's how it happened, because I was there scratching my head lol.

I disliked the romance between Vi and Zenn and Jag. Vi is torn between Zenn, the guy she was matched with and was supposed to marry and has always loved, or Jag, the "bad boy" she has met and also loves instantly. I personally dislike romances with characters who are torn between two people because I don't understand them. How can you love two people? Just when you think she's made up her mind to be with Jag, Zenn comes back and then she realizes she loves Zenn. Whaaat? Someone needs to tell this girl to make up her mind! Lol :) Also, half the story she spends saying "I love Jag" and the other half she's saying "I hate Jag. He needs to die." How's that for romance? I didn't really find myself relating with the romance or with any of the characters, except for the fact that Vi is indecisive.

There were also too many twists for me. Some of them were predictable, but I like stories that aren't too over-the-top and you're not like "Come on, again?". They always seem to get captured, and brainwashed, and thrown into new situations and battles, and then discovering old family members (this happened like a million times). "Oh, hi Dad! I thought you were dead. But now you're the bad guy, so I'm going to run away from you." And then of course there's Ty, the sister, but she's not called Ty anymore. Now she's called Gavin, and so all the characters call her Gavin, except Vi still calls her Ty.

The ending however, was a somewhat annoying one. You know there's a sequel planned but it was just frustrating that after all 400 pages, what you don't want to happen happens. Arghh! haha

I think this story could have used more details on the past so that it sets up the present better because I found myself confused by a lot of the story haha.

On the bright side, I did like the cover. It's a pretty butterfly stuck in an ice cube. It's intriguing, simple, and very interesting.

I might read the sequel, if I get the chance.

Also, Possession reminded me a lot of the Uglies series by Scott Westerfeld. There's brainwashing, escape, adventure, betrayal, futuristic-technology, and two boys! One's a good boy, and one's a bad boy. Kinda similar if you ask me!

I wouldn't recommend this book. If someone had read the cover flap and asked me "Should I read this?", I would say "No, but if you found it interesting, read the Uglies instead." I think that you would get the same story out of it, but the Uglies is much more exciting, better written, and easier to relate to.

**Side note, although I haven't read it yet, Possession also seems to have a similar story to Matched by Ally Condie.**

I would give it 2.5 out of 5 stars because it was just an okay book for me. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you thought :)