Saturday, July 23, 2011

Linger (The Wolves of Mercy Falls #2) by Maggie Stiefvater

Alright so before I get into the review, let me note that the font in this book is green!!! It's kinda a strange concept, because you're so used to seeing black font. But the ink is green!! o_O Like the color I'm using now, or a shade darker. And then I went back to Shiver, and guess what?! The font is blue! And now I'm trying to remember if I had noticed that before... Lol. So does this mean that the font in Forever is red? I can't wait because that would be epic :) So anyway, it was fun reading a book in a different colored font. More publishers should do this right? And use other fonts besides our typical, everyday ones. I think that Maggie Stiefvater should write another book in The Wolves of Mercy Falls series and have it be purple, so I can read a book with purple print (It’s my favorite color)!! Haha but anyway, on to the review…

**If you haven’t read Shiver, you might want to read that book first, because this review contains a few spoilers about the first book**

Linger (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #2)

Shiver is about Grace fighting for Sam to be with her. The book ends with Sam mysteriously turning human, and then Grace and Sam get to be together. The “cure” isn’t foolproof (someone died trying it), and I was left wondering more about it. Grace and Sam don’t really think about it at all, for them it’s basically “How did it work?” “I don’t know” “Oh well, we’re together now. Let’s not get into the specifics”.

Linger is about their relationship now, but there are a few complications. Something is wrong with Grace, she’s coming down with a mysterious sickness. Okay, it’s not that hard to guess, she’s turning into a wolf. But why? Well I don’t know! This whole “science” thing is making no sense to me! Haha. Sam knows there’s something wrong, but he doesn’t really do anything about it because he doesn’t want to ruin the perfect moments they have together. Argh you Sam! You should have figured out what was wrong with her earlier!

And then there’s Cole, the mental one (I say that with love). He wants to be a wolf, but for some reason, he can’t stay a wolf. He has a complicated background, and he’s just trying to figure out who he is and what he wants.

Something I did like was how the author put in two different character’s point of view, so we got more of the story instead of just Sam and Grace. Plus, I like Cole and Isabel, so it’s just another good thing :)

I love Sam, he reminds me of my boyfriend so much. Like, so much it’s insane. Well not really like the music and the books, because my bf likes neither, but his personality and how he’s sensitive and caring and wants her... and yes. I’ll just stop now. xD

I think that I was more “into” Shiver, because it was more exciting and this one is just…. well, lingering. Lol. And now there’s Forever, which I will be reading soon!

But the cliffhanger! It’s really not that bad for me, mostly because I know the book is already out and I don’t have to wait a year to read it, but also because it was pretty predictable what was going to happen.

The one thing that bugs me about this series is just not knowing about the whole technical transformation of werewolves. The characters have stated that “it’s not magical, it’s science”. And there has to be some science behind it, we’re just given bits and pieces of it, some of which is misleading. I know it’s to make it suspenseful, and the author is probably saving it for Forever, but I don’t like surprises :( lol. So I hope that everything will be explained in book number 3.

I did like this book, even if it took me about 50 pages to really get into it. I wouldn’t say it was disappointing or anything, just exciting. Read Shiver first, and if you like it, read this one. I would give it a 4 out of 5 stars , just like Shiver :)

Happy reading!

<3

1 comment:

  1. This book was so good that I finished it in one day, I just could not put it down. I was no mad at myself in the end because I finished it so fast, I did not wanted the book to end. It's just so beautiful, all of it the writting the characters. It's seriously a must read.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you thought :)