Sunday, July 17, 2011

The Lucky Kind by Alyssa B. Sheinmel

I recently finished reading The Lucky Kind by Alyssa B. Sheinmel the other day.


This novel is about Nick Brandt, a high school junior, who is faced with a family secret that has been kept from him his whole life. He feels betrayed and angry that his parents kept this secret from him. Enter Eden Reiss. Eden is the girl he's always lusted after, and eventually works up the nerve to talk to. Basically, they fall in love and he tries to balance his relationship, his friendship with Stevie (his BFF who he's known forever), and his family problems. These different things all intersect and I found myself wrapped up in Nick's problems. I felt I could relate a LOT with Eden and Nick, because their relationship reminded me a little bit of me and my boyfriend. I liked this book, because it had quite a few very tender, touching moments.

As I was about halfway through this, I found myself almost angry with Nick, because he was just being a little too dramatic. He had always been pretty close with his parents, and after this one incident, he closes them out for months. Now come on, the secret really isn't even THAT bad. I think he just needed less time to just get over it because he was being a little close minded about his parents reasoning and such.

He is also a really big a-hole to Eden at one part in the story. She's pretty much perfect to him (as far as we know) and he just ruins everything with her. It just makes you angry with him for messing things up with "the girl of his dreams" when he was confusing the fact that he didn't love her anymore with confusion about his family problems. Eden doesn't deserve that, and Nick's quick thinking doesn't do them any good.

Sam (who I won't spoil and say who he is) is probably my favorite character besides Eden. Even though he only appears for a few chapters, I really liked him. He's smart, funny, a nice guy, and just someone I can relate to.

Something I did like about this novel was the title. It is called The Lucky Kind and though I can't find the quote right now, Eden says something about her and Nick being "the lucky kind" when it came to love. I loved how that was the title because I thought it fit the book perfectly. There's also another mentioning of "the lucky kind" at the end of the story (I think by Sam and Nick when they were talking). Also, the cover is just TOO cute!

I did like most of this book, but there were also some of Nick's choices that I disagreed with. But we must also realize that he was going through a difficult time in his life. It was really just an okay story, not something I would find myself reading again anytime soon. I would give it 2.5 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you thought :)