Sunday, August 7, 2011

Matched (Matched #1) by Ally Condie

Hello everyone :) How is your summer going? I've finished Matched last night, and I'm going to review it now. Is it just more or are dystopian books becoming more and more popular?? Haha alright anyway....
Matched (Matched, #1)
I'm really not that great about giving summaries of dystopian books, because I always feel like there's certain important information that I'm forgetting. I'll do my best, but your best bet to get a better summary is to go here and read the description and some other reviews :) Just trying to be honest here!! haha 
The Society determines everything for you, and Cassia hasn't ever thought too much about it. She gets Matched with her best friend Xander. At first, everything is great. She's going to be with her best friend after all! And then when she plugs in the little chip thing, someone else's face appears. According to the Officials, it's a glitch. Cassia wouldn't normally worry, except for the fact that she knew the guy. His name is Ky, and he's the "bad" guy. He wasn't even supposed to be Matched. Her grandfather gives her something before he passes away, and after that, she begins to wonder how perfect the society she lives in really is.
A lot of people have compared it to the Giver (which I read last year but btw I hardly remember), but I find that unfair and kinda harsh. Dystopian books all have similar elements, so come on, give it a break. Like romance novels don't all have the same basic plot line? I can understand why people would say that, but not everything was the same...
I really liked Matched and all the "perfect society" bits. The romance part was kinda ehhhh for me but the storyline and characters were interesting enough to keep me going. It was a bit slow at some parts, but it picked up from there. I really liked the cover, it's so pretty and relative. She's stuck in a pretty green bubble! I liked both Xander and Ky, they were both cool in their own way. I can understand why Cassia would have trouble deciding between them. There's not a lot of action or rebellion in this part of the story, but I'm sure that there will be lots in the future books.
I'm do want to see what happens next, and will be reading Crossed when it comes out. :) I've also heard that Disney is going to make it into a movie. I would recommend this book, but I have to say that The Uglies trilogy by Scott Westerfeld still remains my favorite dystopian series. 4 out of 5 stars !!!
Thank you for taking the time to read my review, I hope that you'll be visiting my blog again sometime soon :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you thought :)