Thursday, August 18, 2011

Absolutely Positively Not by David Larochelle

Absolutely Positively Not

Steven is questioning his sexuality. He knows he's not gay, because why else would he have Victoria's Secret models on his wall or sit with the jocks at lunch? But then again, he does spend a lot of time eyeing Coach Bowman and looking at male underwear catalogues. Throughout the story, Steven learns what it means to be a guy and to be true to himself.

First of all, I'm going to put aside the fact that parts of this book were very stereotypical and unrealistic. I am noting that, and that I am not going to go into detail about it.

I absolutely loved this book. It made me laugh on quite a few occasions because it was just TOO funny. Steven is hilarious and someone I would want as my best friend. The writing is witty and the characters are easy to understand. This is an adorable story about coming out. I wished that the pages never ended because I was totally absorbed into Steven's words. I loved Steven's personality and how brave and positive he is. I found myself cheering him on in all the "illegal" things he does and when he was trying to get his driver's license.

I also enjoyed how there wasn't any messy romances in the plot line, so that didn't take away from the story. It distinguishes this novel from being about a gay romance to being about coming out. And that is such a refreshing change.

The one thing that I was disappointed about was Coach Bowman. I would have really liked for Steven and him to have talked at the end of the story instead of Bowman just disappearing from the plot line.

I loved this book because it made me smile and laugh and put me in a good mood. I would recommend it to anyone who is interested in a hilarious story about a not-sure-if-he's-gay guy.This fantastic novel definitely deserves 5 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you thought :)