Saturday, August 6, 2011

The Lover's Dictionary by David Levithan

I read this book about a month ago, and before I return it to the library I would like to review it. Please note that if I don't do a review directly after I read a book, it's a lost shorter. I'm doing this from memory, so please bear with me :)

The Lover's Dictionary

The Lover's Dictionary is by my favorite author David Levithan. I heard that he had a new book out, so I decided to read it. This book is his first novel with post-high school characters.

An anonymous male author tells about his relationship, highlighting the good and bad parts of it. Unlike your traditional novel, this book is like a dictionary as the title suggests. There is a word at the top of the page, and then a "definition". The definitions are what tell the story. They aren't in chronological order, they are in alphabetical order.

And it did NOT disappoint me. I loved every page of it. Each entry was like a treasure, and I found myself reading and re-reading passages most of the time. It was magical, intimate, and special. It highlights both the good and bad parts of a relationship.

I love the unique feel of reading it, how it's not your typical novel. I love the messages it's telling me and how the story is told. I honestly can't find a thing to critique about this book because it was just THAT amazing for me.

I marked some passages to write down later and was going to quote some here, but then I realized I had practically marked the entire book. If you want to read some of them to get a feel of the book, go here . If you like them, then definitely get a copy of it so you can read the rest. You won't be disappointed :)

I absolutely loved this book. It was unique and beautiful and as I was reading it, I wished that I could share some of the passages with someone, because that's how powerful they were. I am putting this on my birthday wish list, so that I will be able to go back and refer to the pages that I love whenever I want. 5 out of 5 stars for the Lover's Dictionary!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you thought :)