Thursday, November 10, 2011

Boy Toy by Barry Lyga

Boy Toy

Josh was molested by his teacher when he was twelve. Now he's a senior and is going to be graduating from college soon. Josh has pretty much ignored his past for years, but now when Eve is released from prison he begins to pick up the pieces of his life and put them all together as he rediscovers who he is.

Boy Toy was a lot to handle. Lyga has a beautiful way which he connects the past with the present. It's a little confusing at first, but after you keep reading you're able to get the main idea and all the other little details begin to fall into place. I loved this book, however dark and disturbing it was.

When Josh describes his past, it's hard to read. It's all so real and you're always on Josh's side. You can understand why he likes Eve because when he describes her, she's really not a bad person. As an outside pair of eyes, you know that she's manipulating him and what they're doing is bad, but when you read as Josh, you can see why things happened the way they did. It was horrible to read about how he says he loves her and tries to protect her.

I fell in love with Josh a little bit. He has that wounded, tortured quality about him that makes you want to get to know him and make him feel better. He's honest, endearing, quick to think, and funny. He's also a baseball player. I kind of have a thing for baseball players lol. And when I say "baseball players" I mean my boyfriend. Their uniforms are way cute and I can actually follow baseball, unlike some other sports (**cough** football **cough**). There's a lot of baseball lingo and references and just general talk about the game, so if you know nothing about how baseball works, you'll definitely feel a little lost at parts and be missing out on a lot of Josh's character. I know the game and how it works, and I have someone I can ask about the slang terms, but even then there were still parts I was a little confused at.

I loved the other characters too, not necessarily because I liked THEM (well I liked Zik), but I liked how realistic they were. This entire story was very realistic, to the point that it was almost scary because you know that what has happened in the book actually DOES happen.

Boy Toy was fascinating and intriguing, however sad and disturbing it was. It's definitely not a light read, but it is told in a way that makes it interesting so it's not all "I'm a victim and my life is ruined." I would recommend it to an older teen, because there are mature topics and problems. I don't remember why I chose to read it, but I could have sworn it was like an LGBT read, but I guess not. So I wonder where I saw it and wanted to read it... Anyway, I loved the story and how it was written and how much I understood Josh. 5 out of 5 stars. Go read it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you thought :)