Friday, July 12, 2013

The Child Thief by Brom

Think about all you know about Peter Pan. Now, forget all of it. Brom tells the story of Peter, the child thief, who preys on abused and abandoned children. He tells them of a better place with no grownups. But unlike Neverland, this is a dangerous place. Avalon is dying and Peter needs an army of children to help save the Lady, the overseer of the land. Add Nick, a fourteen-year-old, who is new to the Devils, trolls, pixies, witches, and flesheaters, and you're in for a treat. 





A few months ago, I read Krampus, another book by Brom. The cover terrified me, yet it sounded so interesting that I kept reading it. Surprisingly, it was one of the best books I've ever read. So I decided to read another book by Brom.

There is honestly so much going on in this book to fit into this review. It is a completely awesome, dark adaption of Peter Pan. Also, I like how Brom only took the idea of Peter from Peter Pan and not too much else in his story. That's what makes it so familiar and different at the same time. 

All the characters in this novel are amazing. There's Peter, my favorite, who is extremely devious and cunning but at the same time just a lost child. I love how you get the background story on him which shapes who he is now. I also love Nick, who is just as lost in different ways. The thing I like about Brom's stories is how there is really no good or bad. Each character could be either depending on how you look at him. 

The plot is fast paced and very adventurous. Also, what makes The Child Thief even more amazing is the illustrations. There are beautiful pictures of various scenes and and characters throughout the book. It's like an adult picture book.

This book had be flinching, cheering, and crying all at different parts. It's a dark story and there's violence, gore, and cussing so it's definitely more for adults. However, if you're interested, I highly recommend that you give it a try. You're in for a treat. I love this so much that I'll give it 6 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you thought :)