Monday, July 15, 2013

Purity by Jackson Pearce

As Shelby's mother was dying, she promised her 3 things that would later become known as The Promises. She promised to love and listen to her father, live without restraint, and love as much as possible. Shelby has never doubted The Promises and believes that they are a way of guiding her in life. However, when she and her father start to plan the Princess Ball and she finds out she has to vow to be free of drugs, sex, and alcohol. She and her friend, Jonas, are always finding loopholes to The Promises and so Shelby decides that she needs to find a way out of it. Throughout the Ball preparations, Shelby starts to learn what her mother really meant.



When I first picked up this book, I didn't have high expectations for it. I don't really believe in purity and haven't enjoyed the books I've read about it (I'm talking about you, Pure by Terra Elan McVoy). However, I was pleasantly surprised. Although it was a bit predictable, it was a lot deeper than I thought it would be. It had some very good lessons about promises while being entertaining and humorous. It's a nice short book with some realistic characters. 4 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you thought :)