Thursday, June 21, 2012

L.A. Candy (L.A. Candy #1) by Lauren Conrad

L.A. Candy (L.A. Candy, #1)

Jane and Scarlett are just your every day girls. They recently moved to L.A. in hopes of a change of scenery. Scarlett is a UCLA (I think) student and Jane works for a prestigious event planner. Then one night, they are approached by a TV producer. He says that he's going to be filming a new "reality show that is a PG version of Sex in the City" and that Jane and Scarlett are what he's looking for. They agree, and soon realize what "reality" really is and get caught up in all the show's dramas.

First off, let me say that I've never seen the Hills and I don't know too much about Lauren Conrad, so my review is based simply off of the novel. I chose to read this because the cover is really cute, and it sounded decently interesting. I had actually started reading this a few years ago when it came out, but I think I had to return it to the library and never got around to finishing it. Anyways, here are my thoughts about it.

There's really nothing too special about it, the plot is interesting enough and the characters are decently developed. This novel is what I would consider a "beach read" where it's just a quick, fun, and really light book. I liked how it gave me more of an insight into reality TV shows, since Lauren Conrad was on one. It really made me realize that you can't believe everything you see on TV!

One thing that does make me a little angry is the low reviews on Goodreads.com , mostly of which are saying "she should stick to TV and not write a book", but it's not a bad book. It's just an okay, decent one but it doesn't need to be ragged on just because of the author's prior career. If you've ever read the A-list series, this novel fits into that category haha.

I have already read the second book in the series. They're entertaining and good enough that I'm not rolling my eyes saying "who let this person write a book". If you're up for a fun, quick novel then check this one out. 3.5 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you thought :)