Saturday, October 15, 2011

All These Things I've Done by Gabrielle Zevin (Birthright #1)

When I heard that the author or Elsewhere had a new book out, it was on my to-read list instantly. Elsewhere was one of my favorite books when I was like in 5th/6th grade and I've probably read it on 5 different occasions. I had also recommended it to my friends and my mom, that's how much I liked it. So you can see how excited I was to be reading something new from Gabrielle. Then Queen Taco recommended it to me, so then I was like, "I have to actually read this... like now."


All These Things I've Done
All These Things I've Done takes place in 2083, when chocolate has been banned, caffeine is illegal, as are a number of other things. You have to have vouchers to buy pretty much everything. You even have to pay postage to send an email. New York is full of crime and suspicion. Anya Balanchine, our protagonist, is a simple 16 year old. Well, maybe not so simple considering her deceased father was involved in major crimes. All Anya wants is to take care of her family, go to school, avoiding her ex. It's all been going okay for her, until one day her ex ends up in the hospital and Anya is charged for "attempted murder". And after that, she knows her life will never be the same.

When I first read the summary, I thought this was going to be a dystopian read. And for some reason I'm really into dystopia so I was kinda excited haha. But this novel isn't dystopia at all. It's actually more crime and mystery, with romance, friendship, family, adventure, and science fiction. Honestly, this book covers a million different genres and I think that a lot of people could enjoy it.

The best thing about this book is probably the characters. Anya is so real and I can completely relate with her. I love how she has flaws, and you can clearly see them when you read, but yet somehow you're always on her side because you can relate to her. She's smart and easily loved. As for her best friend Scarlet, wow. I wish I could have a best friend as loyal as she is. She's seriously awesome, and I don't think Anya really deserves her forgivingness and everything lol. Her younger sister Natty is adorable, and Leo is so cute and you really just have to love him. And Win? OMG I love him <3 Almost as much as Sam from the Shiver series haha. Win is soooo cute!!!! Argh Anya, she really needs to snatch him up! The characters of this book are very well developed and easy to relate to, you find yourself loving them all.

The plot was quick, intriguing, and very unique. The romance was almost like a Romeo and Juliet thing, starcrossed lovers and all. The ending, was a little sad for me though. First of all, I didn't know this was a series until I was about 50 pages from the end and I was like "I don't think this is all going to be solved so it must be a series!" lol so I was a little sad :( because I wanted more. And Win.......

Well, I wouldn't want to give away anything I'm not supposed to haha. So, I recommend this book. There's a little bit of something for everyone, and you won't be dissapointed. 5 out of 5 stars. I'm looking forward to reading the next one :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you thought :)