Sunday, April 1, 2012

Mocking Jay (The Hunger Games #3) by Suzanne Collins

Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3)

Mockingjay is the final book in the Hunger Games trilogy. District 12 is gone and Katniss and a few other tributes have been evacuated to District 13, where they will live now. Luckily she is reunited with her family and Gale. But Peeta is in the Capitol’s hands. Katniss is free of being a pawn, or is she? Thirteen wants her to be the face of the war, but all Katniss wants is to kill Snow. What is the right thing to do? And who can she really trust?

***SPOILERS AHEAD!!!!!! DO NOT READ MY REVIEW UNLESS YOU READ MOCKINGJAY!!!!!!! I DO NOT WANT TO RUIN IT FOR YOU!!!!!!! READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!!******

There are so many aspects of this novel that I enjoyed, and a few things that I didn’t. I liked how this story was so much more than people think it is. They think it’s a wonderful dystopian series, which it is. But what people overlook is how closely it characterizes humans as a whole. I’ve read the Uglies a cajillion times and so I could pretty much predict what was going to happen. Putting that aside, I believe that Collins correctly portrays human nature and their strive for power. It reminds me a bit of Lord of the Flies thinking. 

The war aspect was portrayed perfectly, because it was very realistic and historically based. In the author's note, she mentions that she knows a lot about war, which leads to the great way that she can create a literary one.

I liked how this is not a romance. Yes, there is a love triangle, but the romance does not take over or distract from Katniss' story and true purpose. Which is a very nice thing to see in a book that has so much hype. And for every one who is like, "Team Gale or Peeta?", I like Peeta better, but let us not forget that this is not a romance!!!!

I like how the author is not afraid to kill characters. Not all books can have a happy ending... 

The connection between roses and Prim’s name. Its very contradictory, because President Snow's roses are evil and symbolize the cruelty of the world. But at the same time, Prim is short for "primrose", which Katniss has to appreciate.

There were a lot of things that I didn’t like about the ending. One was Gale’s absence. He just… disappears at the end. And you don’t hear from him. It makes me angry. He was supposed to be her best friend, and look how much they communicate after the war is over! And then there’s Katniss. She chooses Peeta (which is fine by me because I liked him better. Oh yes, I chose sides!) and has children, but seems so nonchalant and like, “I’m with Peeta, but whatever. I could have lived without him…” And her children? She didn’t even want them and doesn’t mention their names. That bugs me because I think she could have thought of some really cool names. The fact that she doesn’t is significant and just… argh. And I like what the last line implies, but it’s so awkward and poorly formed in my opinion. “But there are so much worse games to play.” Isn’t that just awkward sounding? And last, how Katniss can’t just be a littttle bit happy. I understand she’s been through a lot, but it’s time for a new beginning. She can’t see just a little bit of that?

 At the end when they take the vote on a last Hunger Games, I really trusted Katniss to vote no. But she votes yes, “for Prim”. Since she experienced the Games twice and knows how horrible they are, why would she EVER want to put someone else through it? No matter how evil they were? And it’s not even the children. That bugged me so much and I lost a little respect for Katniss. And then we don’t even find out what happens with the Games! Darn you loose ends…

Overall, I think that Mockingjay is a daring way of ending the series, and I can see why some people didn't like it. There were definitely some things that bothered me. Despite the multiple things I can find wrong with this book, I did enjoy reading it. And for the entire series, I think it's worth reading if you love to read. If you are not the type of person that reads books for fun, I would like to recommend you read a different book that can offer you more than this hyped-over franchise. 4.5 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you thought :)