Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks

The Lucky One

Logan Thibault (pronounced "T-bow", not "Thigh-balt") is an ex-marine. In Iraq, he found a picture of a woman and posted it on the bulletin board. Weeks passed and no one claimed it, so he took it for himself. He found himself becoming luckier, whether it be in poker or in combat. His friend, Victor, insists that it is a lucky charm though Logan doesn't really believe it. When they are sent home, Victor encourages him to seek the woman out because he "owes her". He does, and meets Beth. Beth lives in a small North Carolina town and is a single mother. They fall in love. And then there is Clayton, Beth's evil ex. He doesn't like Thibault, and he especially doesn't like him near Beth or her son.

I swore I would never read another Nicholas Sparks book, and look what happened. The movie is coming at the end of this month, so I figured I would read it... lol.

First of all, I will put aside the obvious similarities and formula that Sparks uses while writing novels. If I didn't, I would spend this entire review ranting about how its like the exact same thing as his other books. Anyways.

One thing Sparks does wonderfully is his character development. The Lucky One is told in three points of view: Logan's, Beth's, and Clayton's. Each character has their own voice and way of thinking that is extraordinarily realistic. You can even follow and almost sympathize with Clayton through his words, even though he's the "bad guy". And that's a really weird thing to find yourself relating to the villain and being like "oh, I see where he's coming from." It's awesome at the same time though.
The storyline is a little slow at the beginning, but afterward is pretty quick paced. The plot is interesting and generates many different emotions.

And the ending... After reading The Best of Me, I was expecting the worse. And I was about ready to kill Nicholas Sparks when I was reading that last chapter. Lucky for Sparks, he is still alive right now.

Overall, this is a really sweet romance. It's a light read, though not too special. I look forward to when the movie comes out at the end of the month. I will probably be dragging my reluctant boyfriend with me haha :D . 4 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you thought :)