Sunday, March 11, 2012

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

The Fault in Our Stars

Hazel is a surviving cancer patient who is living her life to the best of her ability. In her cancer support group, she meets Augustus Walters. Augustus (or Gus, as he is sometimes called) is handsome, hilarious, has an interesting outlook on life, and is interested in Hazel. The two grow closer and end up going on a journey together that will change their lives and how they perceive and live it.

This book is so special that it makes me tear up just thinking about it. I loved Paper Towns and Will Grayson, Will Grayson (OMG David Levithan <3) so I wanted to read his latest book, even if it didn't sound THAT interesting to me. This was a truly amazing story. Let me first start with the cover and the title.

The cover itself is amazing, though you have to read the book first and then try to understand it. There are two clouds in a blue sky: one black and one white. A black cloud? What could it mean? I'll let you think about that. The title was taken from a line in Julius Caesar (it's explained in the book) when Brutus is talking to Cassius and they talk about how it's their fault their life is the way it is, not their fates'. And then Hazel and Gus disagree about it, because obviously it's not their fault they have cancer. Therefore, there are faults in their stars, not them. I also liked how Augustus' name is Augustus, another reference to Shakespeare's Julius Caesar.

Though the plot was a little slow in the beginning, it quickly became very interesting. Hazel and Gus are so lovable and REAL. They are such admirable characters with big hearts. And the romance? It's sweet and sad and everything all at once. Its heartbreaking and wonderful to read about their life as they live between life and death.

John's writing is absolutely beautiful. It can have you laughing on one page and then crying the next. I literally marked every other page because there were so many quotes I liked. "Some infinities are larger than other infinities" was my favorite. Its the perfect paradox and I still ponder all of its different meanings.

I loved everything about this book and wouldn't change a thing. They're making it into a movie, and I'm really crossing my fingers that they'll make it right and they won't ruin it. I recommend this book, because I really enjoyed it. 5 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you thought :)