Monday, February 20, 2012

Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins

Lola and the Boy Next Door

Lola's life is pretty much great. She love to dress up in costume and spend time with her wonderful boyfriend, Max. The only problem is that he two protective, gay dads don't like him. And since he's 22, and a musician, I suppose they have reason not to. Everything changes when the Bell twins move back in next door. Lola finds herself talking to Cricket, her childhood through 9th grade love, and having to reconsider all the relationships in her life.

Overall, this was a surprisingly good book. I didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did. There were so many different aspects to it, such as family, friendship, and individuality. There were also many, many humorous parts in it! Lola is very lovable, but she does have her flaws. But doesn't everyone? The dialogue was so real and I could totally imagine it happening in real life. While some parts of Lola had me rolling my eyes because they were just silly, there were also tons of great parts. I admire Lola's style and confidence to wear just about anything. I liked all the other characters as well.

The only thing that made me a little upset was Max. He really seems like a sweet character and the author does a 360. Oh well...

I was only about 3/4ths done with Lola when I realized that I was reading a sequel.... lol. The good thing about it is that it's a different set of characters, so you're not missing a whole lot if you didn't read the first. I enjoyed Lola, so now it's time to go back and read Anna and the French Kiss haha.

I recommend this to anyone who hasn't forgotten their first love or anyone who wants a light, humorous, one-day read. 4.5 out of 5 stars.

2 comments:

  1. I had the SAME problem with Max. I loved him until he got all bipolar.
    I wrote a review also, if you want to check it out, though mine isn't quite as complimentary...
    rivreads.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually read your review on Goodreads before I wrote mine haha. It was definitely a bummer that Max turned out to be such a jerk. And the point you brought up about the gay dads was interesting because I hadn't thought of it that way before :P

      Delete

Tell me what you thought :)