Thursday, December 29, 2011

Chain Reaction (Perfect Chemistry #3) by Simone Elkeles

Chain Reaction (Perfect Chemistry, #3)


The latest Perfect Chemistry book is told in the youngest Fuentes, Luis' point of view. Luis may have big plans to become an astronaut, but that doesn't mean he lacks that rebellious streak his older brothers have. He falls for Nikki, and is determined to make her his girlfriend. He is also drawn into the Latino Blood, who reveal a devastating secret to him. Nikki had been dating Marco for a year when he broke her heart, saying he was going to be involved in the LB. Nikki was heartbroken, especially since she was pregnant with Marco's baby. Ever since then, she hasn't let any guy get close to her and keeps her guard up. She's skeptical of love, until Luis.

Overall, I the plot and characters were enjoyable as always. There was just the right amount of romance mixed with action and family. I liked how all the previous characters are still involved in this book and how they've come along. I did like how the shower scene from the cover was Incorporated into the story, it was a nice surprise than what was expected.

The only thing I can say is that after reading this series I felt like I basically read the same story three times. Because that's basically what it was. Fuentes meets rich girl, they don't click right away, then eventually fall hopelessly in love. Throw in some gang violence and other various complications, and there you have it! A Perfect Chemistry story. I was excited to read that Nikki was Mexican because I was expecting a variation in the plot, but I was pretty wrong because you might as well put her in the same category as the other girls.

Something else I find amusing about the Fuentes is that they are so driven on breaking the stereotypes of Mexicans and gangs, yet they enforce those stereotypes. Like when they say things like "I'm a Fuentes, it's in our blood." or "violence is in my blood" "I have to fulfill my father's footsteps" bla bla bla. Anyway...

I thought Chain Reaction was pretty good, even though it's basically the same as the other books in the series. 4 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you thought :)